May 22, 2010
Mr. Sunstein, who is Jewish, went to Harvard and later served as a law clerk for Justice Benjamin Kaplan of the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court.
He later worked for the Justice Department as a legal advisor and in 2002, when the late and unlamented George Bush set up “military commissions’ without first obtaining the obligatory permission of Congress, Sunny volunteered his unsought-for opinion that “[u]nder existing law, President George W. Bush has the legal authority to use military commissions” and that “President Bush’s choice stands on firm legal ground.”
He laughingly procliamed that the Supreme Court would easily and quickly find that Bush was correct.
Like so many of Sunny’s proclamations and bombast, four years later, the disobedient Supreme Court ruled that Bush lacked the legal authority to create military commissions without approval from Congress, i.e., the Court (and Stevens) found Bush lacked exactly the “legal authority” which Sunstein vehemently insisted he possessed.
Cass Sunstein has been trying to shut down the bloggers for some time on the expressed theory that they are “misleading” the public into accepting what Sunstein and his co-religionists believe are views that could prove to be injurious to them.
Sunstein is a supporter of the idea that American judges should only rule on the specifics of a case before them and not meddle in Federal policies.
Naturally, Cass is a strong supporter of the death penalty, is in favor of higher taxes to support law enforcement and his basic belief is that Federal law should be interpreted and enforced not by the courts but solely by the American president and his personal staff. In a recent book, Sunstein proposes that government recognition of marriage be discontinued. Among other odd ideas, he believes that animals should be considered as human beings in order to establish and protect their rights.
But it is the present Internet that has become an annoyance to him because he reasons that the mass of the public are essentially stupid and easily led. From this, he goes on to express anger at the flood of “conspiracy” sites and the logical conclusion that their essentially anti-government beliefs could lead to anarchy, resistance to, as he sees it, more government control over a population that could be inifluenced by others to, let us say, attack the Jewish community.
In 2008, Sunstein and one Adrian Vermeule authored a paper on conspiracy theories and wrote:”The existence of both domestic and foreign conspiracy theories, we suggest, is no trivial matter, posing real risks to the government’s antiterrorism policies, whatever the latter may be.” They go on to propose that, “the best response consists in cognitive infiltration of extremist groups,” where they suggest, among other tactics, “Government agents (and their allies) might enter chat rooms, online social networks, or even real-space groups and attempt to undermine percolating conspiracy theories by raising doubts about their factual premises, causal logic or implications for political action.”
In short, this strange and unpleasant character wants to clamp down on the American internet to prevent any opinions aired that might offend his Jewish sensibilities (and many friends) as well as a sitting administration. Sunstein said that if this system couldn’t be implemented voluntarily, “Congress should hold hearings about mandates,” which would legally force people to dilute their own free speech, and that blogs should be forced to list a random draw of 25 popular websites, such as CNN.com. “The best would be for this to be done voluntarily,” said Sunstein, “But the word voluntary is a little complicated and people sometimes don’t do what’s best for our society,” he added. “The idea would be to have a legal mandate as the last resort - an ultimate weapon designed to encourage people to do better.”
Sunstein is now proposing a method of officially dealing with what he calls “dangerous” ideas, by claiming that the government could, “ban conspiracy theorizing,” or “impose some kind of tax, financial or otherwise, on those who disseminate such theories.” In short, Sunstein wants strong, official censorship, backed by threats of legal punishment, for those whose ideas he views as “dangerous” to not only a sitting president but his own co-religionists.
Sunstein has submitted a number of papers to the President in support of his censorship and punishment thesis and we managed to get a photo-copy of one of these. As it is illustrative of his dangerous views, we are reprinting parts of it for the education, not of the President and his top people but the American public.
Sunstein is a compulsive writer and chatters on like an old woman on speed, so instead of linking to 140 pages of babble, we are extracting the meat from a stew of ideological sewage:
* ‘…..a very obviously growing public disillusionment with all governmental aspects is clearly manifest on the Internet
* ….among other factors, we have the recent anti-immigration movement in Arizona, the so-called tea party movement and a growing tendency to attack Israel, and by inference, the American Jewish community…over the unfortunate incidents in Lebanon and Gaza….the right of Israel to defend herself against Arab aggression is certainly clear…
* ….the Internet has proven to be a breeding ground for a mixture of professional trouble-makers and various hate groups…many sites, the Rense and Prison Planet as well as the Voice of the White House and numerous other hate merchants….aimed not only at the political right but, by inference, at the Jewish community….these should either be completely shut down or compelled to give ‘equal time’ to the groups and individuals they maliciously and anonymously attack.
* ….a Federal commission should be set up, by Presidential order, that would serve as a “filter” for these irresponsible merchants of hatred…a control board made up of diverse and politically positive elements…for example we can consider the ADL and the Southern Poverty Law Center as prime candidates for such a control board…pro-immigration groups could supply additional membership…. * ……the position of the black community is not entirely clear. Heady over the election of Obama….many of these black groups are now, unfortunately, taking up the theme of illegal immigration which is, in actuality, a farce. Having been a persecuted minority, the black community is now turning against other minority and special interest groups….latent anti-Semitism (Louis Farrakhan for example) can be found online, stemming from black sources and while forcing them to stop their activities could prove to be sensitive politically, nevertheless, what is fair for one should be fair for all…
* …..I can say with some sense of pride that my advices and assistances to the authorities in Australia has borne fruit in their very successful clampdowns on their own Internet systems….as a substitute, it should be feasible to put up our own “blogs” and websites in response to the distracting and disruptive others….these would receive Federal support and would, like Google and other sites, be fully responsive to current governmental needs. …identifying public disruptors, conspiracy theorists and racists is not difficult as the FBI already had a very long list of undesirables and these can be made available for restrictive and, if necessary, punitive actions….
* …..the first clear-cut violation of this new policy should be a specific warning, followed by legal action and banishment from the Internet on a permanent basis if it is found that these sites are unresponsive…..’
Also, the new Arizona law, aimed at stopping an incredible flood of illegals pouring into their state and taxing law enforcement with various felonies and misdemeanors, is causing spastic colon in the ranks of militant Latinos and their supporters.
And then there is the slowly growing awareness that the Federal government is deliberately concealing the fact that the mortgages of millions and millions of unsuspecting Americans have vanished into the criminal machinations of the large banks. What has happened is that all of these mortgages have been put into packets for foreign investors and are so dispersed that no one, anywhere, has any idea as to who really owns them. The result is that if a citizen tries to pay off their mortgage, it is completely impossible to locate a distant holder to obtain a free title. In essence, Americans are only paying unproductive rent on the homes they mistakenly think they own. The Federal government has set up a system, MERS, that is solely designed not only to conceal these ugly facts but to encourage the same banks to continue their manipulations.
YouTube, FaceBook, Twitter and all the rest of the “social network” systems are only a means to an end and that is not to encourage mindless chatter among the idiot brigades that infest the nation, but to get free personal information on millions of citizens that the eager government spies can quickly harvest. It was not enough that they have had eager cooperation from the credit bureaus, telephone companies and some of the computer services but the social network scam has proven to be priceless!”